The thematic issues addressed below are the result of consultation with local authorities and with local or international experts in the field, for which we are warmly grateful.
They are indicators both of the desire for a better understanding of the dynamics of a sector, and concern about improving the efficiency of services operations for populations. They are not exhaustive, but are potentially issues that could have a strong impact. While some of them appear to be able to be dealt with by analysis techniques that are known but have not yet been applied thoroughly in Senegal, others require creativity in cross-referencing with data specific to the sector or in terms of calculation method.
We encourage you to visit the ‘ Partners & resources’ pages where we have indicated the first steps for accessing the numerous data items available. And we also invite you to explore the issues addressed in the other themes. There are certainly connections between some of the issues addressed that will also be worth exploring.
The Orange Group and Sonatel would like to thank the National Statistics and Demographics Agency (ANSD) for having explained the issues that concern it and for having expressed its strong interest in this research work in line with its strategy for development of activities and skills.
National statistics form the basis of numerous fundamental decisions in the governance of a country.
With our partner PARIS 21, a valued contributor on this theme, we hope that the work carried out under the ‘D4D Challenge’ will open up routes that are likely to make a creative contribution to this task.
The main challenges faced by the ANSD in Senegal are:
- Poverty and vulnerability of women, young people and children
- Poverty and climate change
- Poverty and decentralisation
- Poverty and social protection
- Female poverty
- Work-related poverty
- Poverty profile by region and department
- Poverty and education (lack of schooling)
- Poverty and insecure employment
- Poverty and energy: cooking practices
- Poverty and allocation of resources
- Poverty and urban development
- Migration of work force and poverty in Senegal
- Determining factors of poverty in Senegal
- Map of poverty in Senegal
Population and transport
- Movement of populations during religious festivals
- Fluidity of transport between producing regions and the port of Dakar
- Population movements during major festivals and ceremonies
- Map of Senegalese population
- Pollution and CO2 production in Senegal
- Poverty and climate change
- Having a master sample for statistical surveys
- Guaranteeing respect for privacy and constraints regarding sensitive information in analyses
- Mapping of poverty in Senegal
- Exploration of possible correlation between information from satellite images and indicators of activity from mobile networks
Employment and growth
- Profile and characteristics of the workforce in Senegal
- Productivity and emergence in Senegal
- Measurement of wealth of communication between regions
- Possible correlation between indicators of activity from mobile networks and socio-economic statistics
- Wealth of communication between regions
- Urban development and emergence in Senegal